The Asian American Bar Foundation of Houston, Inc. seeks to award up to 2 community organization grants to Texas-based charitable non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations whose pursuits will impact the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area by (1) expanding the scope of legal services available to the Asian American community; (2) increasing the number of Asian Americans working as lawyers or in legal services; (3) educating members of the Asian American community of their civil and legal rights; (4) stimulating legal discourse by and/or about Asian Americans, the Asian American cultures and Asian American communities; or (5) otherwise promoting the interests of Asian Americans.
The 2018 AABF Community Organization Grant is a grant of up to $5,000 to a charitable non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that fulfills the aims described in the preceding paragraph. The foregoing criteria may be weighed in any order as determined by the AABF. Applicant organizations must be charitable non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations incorporated or formed under the laws of the State of Texas and/or otherwise demonstrate a substantial connection to the greater Houston metropolitan area. Applicant organizations should submit application packages containing the following information to the Scholarship/Grant Committee:
1. Name of applicant organization
2. Contact information (name, address, telephone number, e-mail address) of applicant organization and representative of applicant organization
3. Proof of 501(c)(3) status of the organization
4. Copy of the mission statement (or, if no official mission statement exists, a statement of the primary purpose) of the applicant organization and information and materials about the applicant organization sufficient for the Scholarship/Grant Committee to understand the purpose of and activities conducted by the applicant organization
5. Information regarding a few recent events held by the applicant organization, if any
6. Description of and information relating to the program or event for which the grant funds are to be applied (the more detail, the better). Please keep in mind that the AABF cannot fund programs or activities that are not in keeping with its mission; therefore, program and activity descriptions should be detailed enough for the AABF to discern whether it is within the AABF’s mission or guidelines.
7. Any other information that applicant organization desires to provide to assist in the application process
8. Cover letter stating how a community organization grant will help the applicant organization to achieve AABF’s purposes listed above and serve the public interest
The grant recipient will receive an award of up to $5,000 and a ticket for one of its representatives to attend the Asian American Bar Association of Houston’s annual gala, to be held October 5, 2018, where the grant will be presented. The grant recipient is required to submit a final report no later than thirty (30) days after completion of the program or event that is supported by the grant funds explaining how the grant funds were used and the results of the program or event. Failure to provide the report may jeopardize future grants to the recipient organization.
Applicant organizations are advised to use these application guidelines as a reference and checklist to ensure that all necessary information is provided with the original application package. The AABF Scholarship/Grant Committee may contact applicants if additional information is required, but the Scholarship/Grant Committee reserves the right to disqualify application packages from consideration if key information is not included. The AABF reserves the right to subdivide the grants or increase the number of grants in its sole discretion.
Application packages must be postmarked no later than September 5, 2018, and mailed to the following address:
Asian American Bar Foundation of Houston, Inc.
Attn: Scholarship/Grant Committee
P.O. Box 1351
Houston, Texas 77252
Grant applications may also be submitted via email to Dat Tran at email@example.com on or before September 5, 2018.
2018 AABF Community Organization Grant Application.pdf