AABF Pro Bono Scholarship Fall 2018
Scholarship Application Guidelines
The Asian American Bar Foundation of Houston, Inc. (the “AABF”) seeks to award a scholarship to an individual (the “Recipient”) who will further their legal education and training while primarily being exposed to the pro bono programs and legal practice at Houston Volunteer Lawyers (“HVL”) which generally “educate and serve Asian American
lawyers and communities in the greater Houston and surrounding areas” in accordance with the mission of the AABF. The Recipient’s education and training will be supervised by HVL, mainly under the direction of Wafa Abdin and Elizabeth Tran, in a manner that serves the foregoing primary purpose.
The Recipient is expected to further his/her legal education and training during a ten week period (to occur during the fall semester of 2018) to commence no earlier than September 10,2018 and to end not later than November 30, 2018 at HVL. The Recipient is expected to devote his/her part-time efforts to further his/her legal education and training at HVL, equivalent to not less than 10 hours per week.
The Recipient will receive a $4,000.00 award (payable in two equal installments on dates to be determined). The Recipient shall deliver a report to the AABF summarizing his/her scholarship activities and how the grant was used to further the Recipient’s legal education and training. The award is to be used for the Recipient’s law school tuition and fees, books, supplies, and equipment for law school courses.
The Recipient must be enrolled as a full time law student at an American Bar Association accredited law school. Preference shall first be given to those qualified full time law students enrolled at an ABA accredited law school in the greater Houston area.
All applications must be submitted to the AABF in care of Joyce Kao Soliman at the address below by not later than September 5, 2018 via U.S. Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested or via email in PDF format with reply confirmation that the application has been received. If sending your application material via email, you must include “AABF PRO BONO SCHOLARSHIP” in the subject line and please send a follow-up email if you do not receive a reply confirmation within 24 hours.
Each Applicant should submit an application package / curriculum vitae containing the following information to the Scholarship Committee:
1. Name of applicant
2. Contact information (name, address, telephone number, e-mail address)
3. Name of school
4. School address and contact information for registrar’s office
5. Degree sought
6. Expected graduation date
7. Copy of transcript, GPA and class rank (if available) or other proof of enrollment at an accredited law school
8. Educational background
9. Course work at current or previous schools relevant to AABF’s purposes listed above
10. Employment history (if any)
11. Employment experience relevant to AABF’s purposes listed above or demonstrating applicant’s commitment to public service
12. Community and volunteer experience relevant to AABF’s purposes listed above or demonstrating applicant’s commitment to public service
13. Independent research or publications relevant to AABF’s purposes listed above or demonstrating applicant’s commitment to public service
14. Awards, honors, scholarships received
15. Other activities, hobbies, skills, positions held in any organizations, etc.
16. Any other information that applicant desires to provide to assist in the application process
17. Cover letter stating interest in the scholarship and proposed dates for serving the ten week period at HVL
18. Name and contact information of at least one professional or educational reference of the applicant (please do not provide more than three references)
Scholarship applicants are advised to use these application guidelines as a reference and checklist to ensure that all necessary information is provided with the original application package. The Scholarship Committee may contact applicants if additional information is required, but the Scholarship Committee reserves the right to disqualify application packages from consideration if key information is not included. The Scholarship Committee reserves the right in its discretion to select more than one Recipient, to select only one Recipient, or to decline making the award.
Application packages must be postmarked no later than September 5, 2018, and mailed via U.S. Certified Mail/Return Receipt Requested to the following address or sent by email in PDF format with reply confirmation that the application has been received. If sending your application material via email, you must include “AABF PRO BONO SCHOLARSHIP” in the subject line, and please send a follow-up email if you do not receive a reply confirmation within 24 hours.
Joyce Kao Soliman
Porter Hedges LLP
1000 Main Street, 36th Floor
Houston, Texas 77002
firstname.lastname@example.org and with a copy by email to: email@example.com
For additional information, please contact Joyce Kao Soliman (ph.713-226-6685).
AABF Pro Bono Scholarship Fall 2018.pdf